BCLS has been offering Social Work services alongside Legal and Community Education services since April 2016. In that time, BCLS social workers have assisted more than 150 clients.
Our clients are mostly women who are experiencing, have experienced or are escaping from family violence. Family violence is a major cause of poverty, disadvantage and mental health problems for women and their families and we are committed to supporting women to achieve and maintain their safety and the safety of their children. In addition, our primary objectives are to provide practical and emotional counselling and support to our clients including referring and linking them to other support services where that might be helpful. We also collaborate with BCLS lawyers to achieve the best outcomes legally and emotionally for our clients.
To be eligible for this service, you must be a current or previous female client of BCLS and have previously experienced or are currently experiencing family violence.
When you come to see us, you can expect:
- A warm and respectful interaction with one of our Social Workers
- Free and confidential short-term casework, counselling and support
- Support at Court, if needed
- Information about and referral to other services that might be able to offer you additional help and support
- Emotional support for other adult family members.
We welcome contact with anyone who feels they may benefit from our service. Please call us on 1300 430 599.