We have partnered with Western Heights College to establish a school lawyer program. Damien Pitts of BCLS is the school lawyer and is part of Western Height’s well-being team, which includes a school nurse, psychologist, and chaplain. Damien is at Western Heights every Wednesday and Friday. All Western Heights students are welcome to see Damien with any legal issues.
Damien provides free help in all legal areas including:
- fines and debts, such as public transport fines and Centrelink debts
- family issues or problems at home
- bullying, including cyber-bulling or other kinds of online harassment
- intervention orders
- problems at work, such as being underpaid
- criminal law, including thefts and assaults
- difficulties with rent, leases, real estate agents, or other housing issues.
In some situations, Damien can also provide advice and assistance to the families of Western Heights students.
Damien also gives presentations to Western Heights students about legal issues that affect young people. The aim is to raise awareness among the school community about their rights and responsibilities.